We handle regulatory cases where accountants and actuaries are being investigated by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW), the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA), the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), and the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFOA).
Disciplinary matters within the accountancy and actuarial professions are handled by the Financial Reporting Council (FRC), which took over the functions of the Accountancy and Actuarial Disciplinary Board. The FRC's disciplinary arrangements are overseen by it's Conduct Committee. The Conduct Committee:-
- Conducts investigations
- Instigates disciplinary proceedings where it determines that there is a case to answer
- Imposes sanctions where misconduct has been determined
- Keeps the regulatory and disciplinary system, and its operation, under review and makes changes where required
Cases of potential misconduct involving the public interest are handled by the FRC. All other cases of misconduct are dealt with by the individual professional bodies. Cases are often referred to the FRC by the individual professional bodies. On other occasions, the FRC can begin investigations of its own volition.
The Disciplinary Process
The stages of the disciplinary process are:-
- Preliminary enquiries, where required
- Decision to commence disciplinary proceedings and referral to the Disciplinary Tribunal
- Tribunal hearing
- The imposition of sanctions, where misconduct is determined
Internal Disciplinary Proceedings
We also assist and represent accountants and actuaries where they are the subject of internal disciplinary proceedings by their employer
What To Do If Regulatory Proceedings Are Commenced Against You
Should internal disciplinary proceedings or FRC/other regulatory proceedings be commenced against you, then please either telephone us on 0333 301 0700, or complete the questionnaire on the top right hand side of this page.